Brain Cancer – The Facts
- Brain Cancer kills more children than any other disease.
- Brain Cancer kills more people under 40 than any other cancer.
- Little is known on its cause or how to treat it.
- Brain Cancer survival rates are low and have hardly changed in 30 years.
- Only 2 out of 10 will survive at least 5 years. Less than 1 out of 10 with GBM (High grade Brain Cancer – Glioblastoma Multiforma) will be alive at 5 years.
- Brain Cancer costs more per patient than any other cancer as it is highly debilitating, affecting people in the prime of life with other family members leaving work to be caregivers.
New Zealand data found at: www.health.govt.nz
The below charities exist to support brain cancer awareness.
Neurological Foundation of NZ – www.neurological.org.nz
Cancer Society of NZ – www.cancernz.org.nz
International Brain Tumour Alliance – www.theibta.org